Identify: Art De La Cruz
POLITICAL Party: Democratic
Town OF Home: Albuquerque
Related Encounter: I have 48 a long time of assistance instantly doing work for city and county government, notably as a director, deputy director and manager. In addition, I was adjunct school at Central New Mexico Neighborhood College or university. I served two conditions as a Bernalillo County commissioner. Finally, I was appointed two times by the Bernalillo County Commission to fill vacant spots as the legislator in Household District 12, and now have practical experience as a legislator.
Schooling: I hold equally a bachelor’s and master’s degree.
Campaign Web page: artdelacruz.com
1. New Mexico is remarkably reliant on the oil and purely natural gas industries to produce profits to fund point out plans, as evidenced by recent oil growth and bust cycles. What ways ought to the Legislature take to diversify the state’s economic climate and profits base?
Make improvements to point out economic enhancement attempts and proceed to deliver new business into our condition. Guarantee that our armed service bases and labs are welcomed, supported and expanded. Align New Mexico’s company taxes to compete with surrounding states, permitting us to be competitive.
2. For the duration of the final typical legislative session, there was an unsuccessful push to make it less complicated to retain sure defendants driving bars until finally demo. Should New Mexico law be changed to make it less complicated to maintain individuals billed with violent offenses this sort of as murder and 1st-degree kid abuse/ driving bars right until trial?
3. What actions should really the Legislature take to deal with crime and public security amid a rise in violent criminal offense costs?
Enact prevalent perception gun control steps: i.e., track record checks, all gun sales. Firearms must be saved locked and protected. Enact regulation for judges to hold people today charged with violent offenses right until demo. Greatly enhance schooling for kids to improved understand the threat of illegal drug use and implications of a existence of criminal offense.
4. What modifications, if any, must New Mexico make to its gross receipts tax code?
Reestablish foodstuff tax and use tax profits to feed food stuff-insecure family members.
5. New Mexico is now the only state that does not shell out its legislators a salary, though lawmakers do get for each diem payments and can qualify for a legislative pension. Do you help or oppose a salaried Legislature and, if so, how substantially need to lawmakers be paid out?
I help a salaried Legislature. Legislator pay out should really be dependable with pay out/techniques of like states.
6. What a lot more, if anything at all, need to the Legislature do to deal with a court docket ruling that uncovered New Mexico is failing to present a sufficient education and learning to all students, specifically Indigenous Us citizens and these who really do not talk English as a very first language?
New Mexico need to figure out very best techniques by researching the accomplishment of other states and enact people practices in classes we are deficient in.
7. What really should be the priority as New Mexico seeks to bolster its health treatment method? How should the state address a shortage of nurses and other well being care workers?
Clinical devices need to observe successful company techniques. Make it possible for overall health care staff, medical practitioners and nurses to perform with people to make superior choices which in change influences managing expenses overall. Preventative treatment really should be rewarded. Handle administration overhead and gain, legislation can assist. Increase extra health-related training venues at reduced charge.
8. In modern decades, New Mexico has steadily enhanced spending on early childhood programs, these types of as home traveling to, prekindergarten and little one care support, and created a new early childhood have confidence in fund. Do you aid or oppose the proposed constitutional amendment on the November ballot that would withdraw a lot more dollars from the state’s long-lasting school fund to maximize funding for early childhood services and K-12 instruction?
I aid utilizing only the desire earned on the permanent fund.
9. In order to tackle local climate transform and air top quality problems, do you assistance or oppose laws limiting greenhouse fuel emissions and necessitating the state realize web-zero emissions by 2050?
Indeed, I aid laws limiting greenhouse fuel emissions and requiring the state to attain web-zero emissions by 2050.
10. New Mexico just lately turned the 17th point out to control and tax leisure cannabis gross sales? What, if any, changes do you think must be designed to the current regulation?
No modifications at this time mainly because we want to have at minimum a calendar year to determine the deficiencies and strengths in the legislation.
11. Do you believe variations really should be built to the unexpected emergency powers held by a governor throughout a pandemic or other time of crisis. If so, do you imagine this kind of powers should be expanded or reduced and in what precise approaches?
No changes to the governor’s powers as extended as they do not usurp the Legislature’s constitutional authority.
12. What changes, if any, ought to New Mexico make to its election rules and main technique? Do you support or oppose opening the state’s major elections to voters who aren’t affiliated with either big political social gathering?
I guidance opening the state’s major process to voters who are not affiliated with either significant political celebration.
13. Would you guidance a advantage-based mostly evaluation system to figure out how the point out spends its cash outlay funding?
Yes, I help a merit-primarily based evaluation procedure to ascertain how the condition spends its capital outlay funding with exception to smaller sized Household and Senate capital appropriations. Reps and senators have a grasp of their district wants and should really be allowed to fund insignificant jobs.
14. Do you aid or oppose authorizing an impartial redistricting fee to perform the the moment-for every-ten years process of redrawing New Mexico’s political boundary lines?
Sure, I support authorizing an independent redistricting fee to carry out the once-per-decade process of redrawing New Mexico’s political boundary lines. Having said that, this must be a countrywide initiative as there continues to be gerrymandering in other states.
1. Have you or your small business, if you are a company operator, at any time been the issue of any point out or federal tax liens?
2. Have you at any time been associated in a own or company personal bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other condition? If so, clarify.